Healthy snacking is essential for kids; it keeps their mind alert and maintains a steady energy level between meals. Kids have smaller stomachs than adults, so they need to eat every few hours to get the right amount of nutrients required for the growth period.
School food service staff, school administrators, teachers and parents should all work hard to instill healthy snacking habits in children.
Kids love dishes that they can dip, shake and mix. Limiting high-fat, high-sugar, and high-salt snacks and offering kids tasty and nutritious snacks in home and in school can help them develop healthy eating habits.
Snacks based on fruit and veggies, reduced fat dairy products and whole grains are the healthiest choices.
- Sliced apple or pear dipped in peanut butter;
- Thyme kaak fingers with labneh and olive oil;
- Mini rice or corn cakes;
- Crunchy pretzels with nuts;
- Baked corn chips.
- Air-popped popcorn with a sprinkle of grated cheese;
- Peeled and sectioned oranges;
- Baked potato topped with salsa, or fat free sour cream;
- Low fat granola bars;
- Sandwich wraps with slices of turkey, cheese and lettuce;
- Cherry or grape tomatoes;
- Unsalted nuts;
- Corn on the cob;
- Banana split: banana sliced length-wise topped with ½ cup frozen yogurt and a tablespoon of chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
- Puddings made with low fat milk (Mhallabieh, custard, rice pudding etc...);
- A glass of skim milk sweetened with a teaspoon of honey;
- Fruit smoothies made with skimmed milk or yogurt and frozen or fresh fruits;
- Fruit drink spritzer (half cranberry juice and half seltzer water);
- Unsweetened juices;
- Popsicles made with fresh fruit juices and fruit pieces;
- Frozen yogurt or juice bars.
Dunks and dippers
- Sliced carrots and mushrooms with low fat ranch dip;
- Baked tortilla chips with guacamole sauce;
- Celery, cucumber and sweet pepper strips with bean dip;
- Fun size cut fruit with chocolate sauce or yogurt;
- Baby carrots and cucumber with Humus dip;
- Baked rice crackers with low fat cheese and spinach dip;
- Cauliflower and broccoli florets with salsa.